Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Community Jackass

So as my job as a hostess I have to of course be polite and respectful and smile and grind my teeth through all the rude and ridiculous comments and actions of the patrons of the restaurant where regrettably I work. So last night I was handling a 30 to 40 minute wait taking names and the whole deal when one of my co-workers who I will call Big Bones (he is 6 foot 3 but no where near fat he’s a nice kid) in enjoying a conversation with one of his friends and that friends parents while they wait for a seat. Now that friend who I will refer to as Jackass is taking classes at MonCo Montgomery Community College (the suburbs of Philadelphia) his parents were talking to Big Bones about his plans for college and where he might be planning on going and things of that nature when Jackass makes a remark that made me stop and look right at his red face. “I’m not in real college mom.” Then Jackasses mom says, “Oh he doesn’t think Community College is real college.” Then his father says. “Its college credit son its college.” I frown then narrow my brown eyes and I snap on Jackass. “So I go to community college so I’m not in real college? Just because I’m not paying damn near 50,000 a year for my classes doesn’t mean I’m not in college.” I bark at the pudgy little ass. His mother smiles and agrees and so does his father, big bones and some other patrons waiting to be seated.

So here is my point people: Why the hell are people so damn stupid? I mean really? What the hell? I also told him I’m waiting to spend serious dough when I go to grad school. Really people what the hell is wrong with people? This is just one more incident on my long list of incidents that have happened to me in the suburbs that is fanning my flame of anger for the suburbs and its residents.

I am trying not to bundle everyone in that area into one. That would be stupid and childish of me but as I encounter more and more ignorant and blind people in the suburbs, and less polite and respectful people I become more…. Vexed yes that is the word vexed. What can I do? What I am paid to do smile and grind my teeth until I commute back to the city where people are different.

<3 The NewCitySlicker

2 comments:

SubtleScream said...

Erm... well... it seems to be that he doesn't beleive that he's going to college... so isn't he stupid anyways? I don't think he meant to hurt you though... you know? I think he just said something stupid and it ended up hurting you. It happens like that sometimes.

But check out my blog, ok? I'm SubtleScream at http://subtlescream.blogspot.com/

It's a political forum, and we'll be holding all sorts of debates and stuff... it's a great place to get your opinion out there.

SubtleScream said...

In response to your comment, I'll post my entire argument on my blog, and I'll let you guys put yours in the comments. If you have a well written argument, I'll put it in the blog with your blog-given name attached.