So there is the guy in my photography class lets just call him “North Philly”. So North Philly is a meat head basket ball player. His eyes are empty just like his head and if he didn’t look so stupid all the time I’m sure some girl would find him attractive of course I am not that girl. He keeps inviting me along to take pictures of North Philadelphia with him, that happens to be where he lives. Okay for all of those readers who do not live in Philadelphia here is a fast run down of the layout of the city and his section North Philadelphia. There is one long street that splits Philadelphia into east and west that is Broad street, obviously he live UP broad street in north Philadelphia. Now for years north Philadelphia has been dangerous, ghetto, and god help you if you happen to be white and you are caught in certain areas. It was that kind of place. Now thanks to gentrification (renovate and improve (esp. a house or district) so that it conforms to middle-class taste.) most of that once dangerous area is turning into something to be desired. So as you can imagine there is a lot of building and change and just wonderful opportunities for pictures. BUT with such a major change comes violence and growing up in Philadelphia I know for a FACT some people mostly the people that live in North Philadelphia have no idea how to act. AT ALL. So a young hip city slicker taking pictures would instantly be thought to be a cop. So for my own safety I stay far, far away from North Philadelphia and I live further uptown in Germantown, which is much safer and more historic (cobble stone streets).
So “North Philly” always comes up to me with a goofy smile and wide eyes and admires my pictures and sparks some useless conversation that I admittedly some what enjoy. So me being one of the two girls of color in the class and the only one with a brain cell I guess he likes to talk to me. But he is rather persistent on me coming into unstable North Philadelphia to take pictures with him. Uhhh no. I will not. But I don’t want to be one of those modern girls who automatically assume all guys that spark a conversation with them have ulterior motives but I must assume it. His empty head can only be filled with that one thought. So the point? Why am I so (and others) willing to be defensive when it comes to the actions of others? Why do we always have to be on the defensive? Why can’t I think he really just wants to shoot a roll of film? Why do I have to think he is trying to get into my skinny jeans? Oh internet world help this city-slicker out!
Am I being judgmental? Come on drop me a line.
<3 NewCitySlicker
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You should show some of your photos for review - and pray to God North Philly never reads your blog - Ha!
~Oswegan
http://oswegan.blogspot.com
I have been one to judge someone by the section of the city they live in, I just can't help it....I think we all do that at some time or another.
I also know now to not venture into North Philadelphia when my husband and I visit later this year. Always good to know these things BEFORE you venture out.
Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog, I am glad you enjoyed it!
Post a Comment